Blair. Nikki. Crew

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Newport, OR



From Washington, we drove over to Portland and picked up my mom and dad at the airport. We stayed the night at my Uncle Tom's and Tuesday am we headed out for Newport, Oregon. I hadn't been to the coast since my senior year of HS so I was excited to go back and check everything out.




We played our own version of Deadliest Catch and spent one day crabbin'. I decided I probably wouldn't do very well up there on the Northwestern because I wasn't patient enough to wait. I'd throw out the pot and pull it up every 5ish minutes to see the catch.




Blair got crabs in Newport too!! :) Here he is checking to see if it's male or female. They have to be over 5 inches long and male to keep...all the females get to go back in the water instead of in the boiling pot!




I also caught of starfish...but it had to go back too! I wanted to boil it and keep it but apparently that's illegal...I think that's stupid...




Blair with one of our keepers....





So, we boiled them for about 20 minutes then we cleaned them out...well...I cleaned one out and Blair cleaned none out. I only gagged once.

I don't eat anything if it lives in the water...but I liked catching them, cooking them and cleaning them....then I ate salad and chicken. :)






Crab guts...




These guys hung out on the dock at the bottom of one of the piers. They were so funny to
watch...and so noisy.


We ate lunch at Mo's (the original one on the Newport bayfront) and again...I passed on the world famous clam chowder and ate chicken and salad.
We had a great time hanging out with my side of the family! Hopefully next time we'll have ALL the cousins there. Thanks mom and dad for a great trip!! :)

1 comment:

Lusks in LOVE said...

SOOOO fun! I think Sethro and I have a pic on that same pier! Mo's is the best! We messed up and went to the new Mo's- BIG MISTAKE! They don't have a deep fat fryer at the new one...so we ended up driving all the way to the coast for a freakin shrimp cocktail (which was pretty lame by the way)! I just wanted some fish and chips baby! We miss you guys! I get back from TX next week- we should get together soon!